Saturday, December 02, 2006

Co-Pilot

My time with the North Carolina Symphony has really flown by, with only three weeks left in the assignment. The entire experience has far exceed my expectations- the projects I have led, the people I have met, the great concerts I worked, and the friends I have made. I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned, and I still have two more orchestras assignments to go!

The highlight of my time with the North Carolina Symphony has been the Blue Skies, Red Earth Tour that I have been leading. The orchestra had two free weeks in the middle of May 2007 that they needed to fill to utilize the orchestra's services. Well I was given the task of figuring out what to do in May. The unique thing about the North Carolina Symphony is that they try to serve the entire state of North Carolina, however, they had not been in the far western region in over 10 years. So, it seemed like a great time to get the musicians back out there. Earlier in the season, the orchestra performed a pops concert with an array of North Carolinian artists that performed music from North Carolina- piedmont blues, gospel, bluegrass, native american music and more. This concert seemed perfect to take to the western part of the state where the Appalachian Mountains are full of these genres.

Well, to get the tour rolling, I needed to find some money to fund the project. I met with a local bank CEO, who is also a member of the orchestra's board, and pitched the idea of the project to him. He does a great deal of business in the western part of the state, and after our meeting, he decided to become the title sponsor of the tour. This was the first time I ever solicited someone, and the feeling of success was amazing. Who knew development could be so fun.

The CEO also agreed to help raise more money for the project, and offered to take a trip with me to Asheville, North Carolina were a lot of his colleagues were based. The best part of this deal was that we flew on the bank's corporate jet! I had never been on a private jet before, so this was quite an experience. When we arrived in Asheville, the soliciting began. It was great to see a board member soliciting on behalf of the symphony, and every person we asked couldn't help but say yes to our proposal. The trip resulted in raising enough money to make sure the tour would actually happen, and we could even net income in the end.

After having this amazing fundraising experience I thought things couldn't get any better. Well, I was wrong. On the flight back to Raleigh, I was given the opportunity to co-pilot the airplane! I rode up front the entire flight, wore the head set and even got to talk to the control tower. Who knew that the fellowship would lead to all these great opportunities and experiences? I can't wait to see what my other orchestra assignments have in store.

Our chariot awaits

Grant Yarber, CEO of Capital Bank, and I

Up in the cockpit with Earl the pilot


Co-pilot in action

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home